Saturday, July 3, 2010

Telling a Lie All These Years and I Never Knew It.............

I've told everyone my whole life that I have never been to the Okefenokee. Even in the boy scouts we never went to Okefenokee.  My father was a scout master of troop 27 here in town and they camped out there alot when I was a child.  I've heard more stories about canoes, alligators, Billy's Island, and raccoons than I can count.
Lately, I have been spending alot of time scanning my fathers old slides onto the computer.  Looking at these slides have brought back great old memories of trips with my family and the boyscout troop.  I'm going to be busy cause at the moment, I have twenty boxes of Kodak carousel slides trays to work on.

Below are a few slide photos of trips that I would like to share with you.

1971 Apollo 14 Launch


I wonder if that is me in the tree watching?
I do remember alot of the people in the trees waiting for the launch and when it happened, the vibrations were so strong everyone got out of them really quick.
This is probably one of my earliest memories.

This is the actual bus that got us to
Titusville and Cape Canaveral.


1972 Apollo 17 Launch


This bus still has not had it's meltdown yet!
That is me jumping from the sub loohcs.


Waiting for the night launch. 
Mama is in white and I'm sitting in front of Aunt Doris.
Uncle Joe is tuning the radio.


Not sure who she is.  Just thought it was kinda funny. 
Doesn't appear to be launch attire to me!







1973 Skylab Launch


Finally, the civitan's bought a new bus.  Oh man, makes me want a RC and salted peanuts right now!








I remember it bothering me that I couldn't see the astronaut's face.


A Sunday Trip To The Okefenokee

Is that me?  Hummm, I don't recall this! 
I guess sometimes you better watch out when you say NEVER.


Oh boy, I'm looking quite concerned here. 
Just wait until you see the next photo and then you'll know why.


Yep, your right.
That is my sister steering the boat. 
You'd understand it if you were aware of her
driving record back then!


It appears that I had seen enough.

I hope that she wasn't laughing at us because she
had the mosquito spray!?!

Check out the following sites:


Check out their imagery of the Gulf Oil Spill.




1 comment:

  1. I have to tell you that I always sigh at then end of one of your posts. I feel so enlightened by it all. What a treasure you have.
    More later, I have to take it all in.
    SO much, such a time capsule. I'm glad you are not sharing your CUmbersome ones....

    ReplyDelete