Friday, August 13, 2010

Three Books You Need To Read

Since my last visit to the island and my recent re-acquaintance with Lary Dilsaver's book, many of my doubts have been answered about the NPS and CUIS.  I recommend to anyone interested in the island to read the three books that I will list at the end of this post.

But first, I would like to share with you Bubbajunk bloggers a few articles on Cumberland Island.



Although you can count my visits to Cumberland Island on one hand, I have continuously collected throughout my life every bit of information about the island that came my way.  Below are three articles that I have from The Atlanta Journal and Constitution Magazine.


1. December 5, 1965









    2. March 9, 1969












3. January 18, 1970





 

 





Now For Your Three Books to Read


Cumberland Island: A History
 Written by: Mary R. Bullard

The best book ever written about the history of the island.  Very detailed and fascinating. The notes are even a book within themselves.


The next two books are on the history of the negotiations between the landowners on Cumberland Island
and the National Park Service.






You can view this book on-line.




Joe Graves, a descendant of the Carnegie family, writes a very interesting story about what the Carnegie's endured trying to help create the Cumberland Island National Seashore.








No comments:

Post a Comment